Though many Chicago locals avoid the city’s most touristy attractions like “the bean” and Navy Pier, exploring Chicago’s most popular destinations can be a fun way to bond with your team, introduce new team members to their new home and show off Chicago to visiting clients. And by turning your exploration into a team building game, everyone is sure to have fun and discover something new about their city.
Whether you’re new to Chicago or are born and raised, here are a few fun facts about downtown Chicago as well as unique team building games that allow you to explore the city.
- Originally named Lake Park, Grant Park was renamed in 1901 after our eighteenth president and Civil War General, Ulysses S. Grant.
- The ever-popular tourist destination and selfie spot most commonly known as “the Bean”, is actually named Cloud Gate. It was designed to reflect the sky, skyline and visitors standing nearby.
- Grant Park was home to the Chicago White Stockings baseball team from 1871 to 1884. They played games in what was once known as Union Base-Ball Grounds field in Grant Park.
- Just across the street from Millennium Park and the Bean is the Chicago Cultural Center. The south side of the building is home to the world’s largest stained-glass Tiffany dome, which contains 30,000 pieces of glass.
- Modern day Grant Park was once home to Fort Dearborn during the War of 1812. On the corner of Michigan and Wells, you’ll find plaques that outline where the fort once stood.
- Millennium Park actually serves as the roof to the Millennium Parking Garages and a railroad yard, making it one of the largest green roofs in the world.
- The Jay Pritzker Pavilion has a state-of-the-art sound system — the first of its kind in the country. The pavilion seats almost 11,000 people and hosts concerts almost every night of the week between May and September. So if you’re hosting a summer corporate event near Millennium Park this summer, you’re sure to hear some great tunes.
- You can host corporate team building activities in Chicago that allow you to see all of these great sites and more with Escape Room Races. Our outdoor Escape Room in Chicago is a fun way to bond with your team over the love of your city, while improving your team-building, creative thinking and leadership skills.
If you’re looking to explore the city with your team during a Chicago corporate team building event, contact Escape Room Races to find out how to get started. Then get ready to bond over your love of Chicago.